Definition & Enforcement of Policies in Parallel
The Key to Good Data Governance
Ensuring accurate understanding and definition of the business terms, policies, and processes is fundamental in a data governance initiative. Without the technical foundation for enforcement of data governance, however, those initiatives are doomed to fail.
Semarchy uniquely allows Data Champions to not only to define their policies with their accountability and responsibility, but also to ensure that each policy is enforced, through a business rule within the xDM application.
Key needs for Data Governance
- Clear goals for your Data Governance initiative: what issues do you need to solve? What benefit will you have from solving those issues?
- Clear processes: data to be governed is well-defined. Roles and processes for your team are well-defined and well-communicated.
- Solidify permissions based on processes and roles to be performed.
- Involve the business users into the process – they will have the most intimate knowledge of the data to be governed.
- Due diligence throughout. Audit processes, ensure they are followed.
- Communication and collaboration need to be stressed and facilitated.
- Be prepared to handle organizational change (flexibility in your tools).
- Ideal pairing = agile, intuitive, and collaborative MDM solution to align your people, processes, and technology.